Monday, October 14, 2013

Medium Specificity


Watching

I watched as they forgot about you
I watched as you did wrong
I watched as he decided it wasn’t true
I watched as you did not belong

I watched as you did not make the team
I watched as you loved and lost
I watched as you turned to lean
I watched what loosing your parents might have cost

I watched things didn’t turn out fair
I watched as you said goodbye
I watched as you cut your hair
I watched everyone at the funeral cry

I watch so many of you
And all your problems I see
But here is one clue,
You should have been writing this poem about me

Artist Statement
I have always loved poetry and the simplicity of it. I think that it is a great medium to explore because of all the elements that you are given.
I chose to do a lyrical poem because of the freedom that it has, but I also chose it to rhyme because I wanted it to have a flow. I wanted the flow for one reason: it would be easier to read. If it is easier to read then the reader will be more engaged. (At least for what I was going for.) What I was going for was a kind of poem for everyone, middle schoolers, high schoolers, or anybody that feels out of place.
The medium I wanted to play with was not only the lyrical poem, but also morbid/depressing things in poetry. I almost think that is the root of many poets. I think that a lot of poets have dealt with heavy subjects, but are inclined not to make it dreadful to read. Edgar Allen Poe, one of my favorite poets, did just that. He has beautiful poetry that is not horrible to read, but it is weighed down by his depression and heavy subjects. I also was inspired to repeat by The Raven. It reiterates what the poet is trying to portray. Poe is where I got my inspiration from, he has influence how I go about poetry itself: with an open mind, and open spirit.
Celebrating a medium was more difficult than expected; it took a lot more brainpower than I thought. It was an exercise that tested my creativity along with my intelligence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment