Monday, October 21, 2013

Textual Poaching


Remix of A Woman
I chose to do a remix of two songs that I really love. The first part that is played is “Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman and the second is “Blackbird” by The Beatles. I think that they are very different songs and that is why they make a great story. After we watched the remix of The Birth of a Nation I was inspired by how the DJ took two forms of art that were opposite and made them into something new. That is what I tried to do, but with a twist.
The reason why I think that these two songs are really different is because “Fast Car” is about a woman being oppressed by her life and “Black Bird” is about black women’s rights. Tracy Chapman is a black woman and so am I; I feel like I identify with both of these traits. Many women feel that they can do more so they try to break free. That is where “Blackbird” comes in. It is about freedom and setting free. I feel like in my rendition the woman is oppressed and then is set free. The Beatles sing about freedom and not being oppressed anymore:
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
In the end I go back to “Fast Car” because this woman had to come down to reality, but I do play it a bit stronger to say that she is content and not timid anymore. Even though she returns to her old life, it is a happy story, she finds the missing piece to her life: wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment