Monday, October 7, 2013

Historical Story





Historical Artist Statement
Our story was based on the Dana Point Harbor. Not only was this beach one of the most beloved surfing spots, it was home to the hearts of most surfers. Dana Point Harbor started construction in the early 1960’s. This angered many locals and they tried to save Dana Point, but alas this did not work. The harbor was officially dedicated on July 31 1971.
We wanted to do something that represented the historical context, but also alter it to what we thought it was like. We talked about the turnout we would have liked to have and we decided that we would want to do a comedy. After watching the video in class, “My Grandmother Ironed the King’s Shirt” we definitely thought that history is not always serious and does not need to be portrayed seriously. That is the very reason why we wanted our characters to have certain characteristics of Patrick and SpongeBob. They represented someone who loved the ocean as much as our characters and they are kind of unintelligent. They also are very enthusiastic just like SpongeBob is when he goes to work. I think it was the best choice for a couple of surfer dudes.
We decided it would be best to have two surfers try and organize a protest, but in the end fail. We did this because we read and reviewed the facts that covered and we found out that there were not a lot of organized protests. Some tried, but in the end, surfers will be surfers.
This project was a fun learning experience. For me (Libby) I learned how to write a script. I had never done one before and it was very cool to see what you can show through writing. For me (Aralie) I learned that history in film doesn’t always have to be exactly what happened. I can make it my own; I can show what I want to show. I think that is the power of film, to show the extraordinary. This project taught us how to show the extraordinary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment